This little quilt was recently chosen to be a finalist in Quilting Arts magazine's "Changing Seasons" Reader Challenge. I am thrilled! It should be in the Dec/Jan 2014-15 issue. However, I can't find a copy locally, so until I do, I'll have to assume it's there.
It measures 8" x 10" and is a combination of hand dyed and stamped fabric, hand quilting, and little Fimo buttons I made. I added a few beads as well.
Well there we go - summer (almost) over for another year.I haven't been idle though - I've attended various shows, including the fabulous Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, and I've done some sewing as well.
This little quilt was shown at the Festival, as part of the Finnish/British Stash Challenge (not an easy phrase to say!), and I was really pleased it was chosen.(I also have a small piece due to appear either on the Quilting Arts website or in the magazine early next year - really thrilled about that!).
As usual I have a number of projects on the go at the same time, and more ideas than I have time for. However, I am planning another Sampler Quilt course - here's a sample block...more to follow!
Spent a happy half hour the other day dyeing some buttons using disperse dyes. Super speedy results and lovely deep colours. It's hard to believe they all started out white or cream!
So this inspired me to sort through my Big Tin of Buttons. They came from various places, including my mum's and my aunt's collections, so I sorted through them, ditched the rubbish, and put them in jars, in different colour groups. Then I covered the jar lids in fabric and lace trim. They now look great on my windowsill and I'll be more inclined to use them!
Feeling good because I made an orphan piece of patchwork into a cushion a few weeks ago. It was a foundation pieced experiment that languished in a bag for years. I love the way the black fabric sets off the bright colours.
Here's another one, made with fabulous fabric from The Dyebag (www.thedyebag.co.uk). It was designed for a day workshop on designing with leaves. All the students got on well and most made 2 cushion tops - a positive and a negative from their own original design. A few examples......
There have now been 2 groups of students working on the Beginner's quilt. Every one looks very different. Some are closer to being finished than others, but hey - it's not a race! Here are some pictures....
I love the way people have made the design their own - changing the applique stars for hearts, leaves or squares- thank you everybody!